1 ½ cups honey (good quality)
3 cups almonds (peeled)
1 ½ cups hazelnuts
1 ¼ cups white sugar
3 egg whites
Rind of 1 lemon
Rind of ½ orange
Ostie – paper-thin wafer “hosts” or rice paper
1. Preheat oven to 175 ˚C.
2. Pour honey into double boiler pot and simmer over low heat for 1 ½ hours, stirring continuously.
3. Line a tray with baking paper and spread hazelnuts and almonds in a single layer.
4. Toast for approximately 15 minutes or until golden, stirring half way.
5. Remove and transfer to a bowl.
6. 10 minutes prior to the honey being ready, place sugar in a small pan with 6-8 tbsp of water.
7. Cook until caramelized.
8. Beat egg whites until firm enough to maintain weight of teaspoon in centre.
9. Gently fold egg whites into honey, mixing well for 5 minutes.
10. Add caramelized sugar and continue to mix.
11. Add almonds, hazelnuts, orange and lemon rind and ix well for a couple minutes.
12. Pour mixture into a low rise, rectangular baking mould.
13. Alternatively, line a low rise, rectangular tray with ostie or rice paper.
14. Once poured, cover mixture with ostie or rice paper.
15. Press and level evenly with a spatula.
16. Set aside for 30-60 minutes and place a weight over the entire torrone.
17. Once set, turn torrone out of baking mould or tray.
18. Cut and serve.