lean pork/mince x 600g
1x fresh egg
1x tbsp chopped parsley
1x tbsp. chopped basil
1x tsp black pepper
1x tsp salt
¼ cup breadcrumbs
2x tbsp of grated parmesan cheese
1x crushed garlic (small)
1x tbsp plain flour
2x tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp olive oil
3/4 cup finely chopped onions
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 Tbsp sugar
1 clove garlic, minced
1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes, including the juice, or 1 3/4 pound of fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried basil or 2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
1 teaspoon tomato paste
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Place the ground pork into a large mixing bowl and break the meat into smaller pieces.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix by hand until well blended. Don’t overwork the meatballs or they will become mealy.
(If you want to test the flavour: take a small amount of the mix, flatten it and lightly fry until browned, taste and adjust the seasoning if needed).
- Form the meat into a ball size approx. 4cm in diameter
- Begin with the tomato sauce, which will simmer while you prepare the meatballs.
- Heat olive oil in a medium pot on medium heat.
- Add the onions, garlic, parsley and stir.
- Reduce the heat to low and cover the pan for 10 minutes.
- Remove the cover and add in the tomatoes, sugar, tomato paste and basil. Then increase the heat to medium/high.
- Once sauce has been boiling for 5-10min add in the meatballs.
- Season with salt and pepper and bring to a low simmer by reducing the heat to low.
- Allow the sauce and meatballs to cook with the lid half covering the pot for 30 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings if required and serve.